Monday, November 12

Window Pane Project

Last month I noticed that one of our neighbors whom I had never met before was getting new windows.  As I saw the contractor take the old windows out I found myself wondering what they would be doing with them.  So I called the company and learned that they have to destroy them if the owner doesn't want them.  The thought of those beautiful windows going to waste broke my heart.  So I contacted the neighbor, who was thrilled to find out that I wanted to reuse her windows, and got these six beautiful windows.  





I have been wanting some old windows for a few projects that I have had tucked away in the back of my mind.  So these beauties were going to be perfect.  I knew right away that I wanted to use of the panel windows and one solid window as chalk boards so I went to Lowes to pick up some paint.  While I was there, I decided that it would be neat to color the chalkboard paint to have it match the rest of our house.  So instead of buying the chalkboard paint I picked up some grout and a paint sample.

I got home taped off the windows, mixed 2 TBS grout with 1/2 cup paint and started painting (I ended up needing a full cup of paint).  It took a few coats to fully cover the windows so in the mean time I jammed out to Michael Buble.  Then I let the windows dry over night.



When I woke up the next day, I realized that the paint color I had chosen was brighter than I had expected.  But once I added white chalk to the board the color was toned down, making it the perfect shade of gray/blue.

Here are the finished products!



I plan on using the  panel window as my weekly planner, I will most likely write our meal plan on it.  The other full panel window I plan on using for FHE.  We are going to pick out a weekly inspirational theme and write it on the window to help us remember it throughout the week.  I love how the windows turned out.  Now I just have to decide where to hang them.  Stay tuned for my next project.  I will be recycling some picture frames for our play room.

No comments:

Post a Comment