Friday, November 25

A Tree Just for Kids~!~

A friend of mine told me about this great idea of putting a felt tree on the wall for children to redecorate.  The idea is that the little ones will play with the felt tree and leave the real Christmas tree alone.  I thought the idea was wonderful.  Every holiday I try and come up with activities that Elai and Josie can do relating to each holiday.  Well here it is!

Elai loves the tree.  As soon as it was up he started playing with it.  The best part is that it only cost about $3- $4 to make (thanks to Joann's black Friday sale.) 
 I started by cutting out the tree.  I used a piece of felt that measured 3/4 yard and hand sketched a tree.  Yes hand sketched, that is why it looks so horrible.  I have never claimed to be an artist.  There was a template online for ornaments, however I didn't want to waste the time or energy to print it off so I used some ribbon to trace the circle.  I had five different colors of felt squares and traced three circles of each color.
 This is Elai helping.
 Next I cut up the circles and decorated some, Elai had a blast helping with this part.  Next I used bonding tape to stick the felt pieces together. 
 Then it was time to hang the tree.
We are going to have a great time with this tree.  The best part was that it only took about 20 minutes to put together.  The idea for this tree along with ornament templates can be found on this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment